Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 19 September 2012

Second Biggest Cancer Killer... Really?!

I'd hardly ever even heard of bowel cancer until Steve's diagnosis. I knew it existed but that was about the extent of my knowledge of the disease. But now everywhere I look I'm seeing that it's the second biggest cancer killer. How is it possible that I knew so little about the symptoms?

It angers me that we know so little about this sort of cancer - I'm sure hundreds, if not thousands of lives would be saved each year if there was a bit more awareness of the many symptoms that can occur.

Maybe it's because there is still a stigma attached when it comes to talking about bottoms and poo. It's heartbreaking to think people die of this disease because they don't want to face 10 minutes of embarrassment at the doctors.

So, for anyone who just happens to have come across my blog and isn't aware of the symptoms, here are some of the most common ones:


  • Rectal bleeding (bleeding from your bottom) if it persists for more than 3 weeks.
  • Abdominal pain, especially if severe but also if it is constant, or comes and goes.
  • A change in bowel habit - going more often, less often, looser stools or passing a clear mucus.
  • A lump in your tummy.
  • Unexplained tiredness, dizziness and breathlessness.
  • Unexplained weight loss.


It is unlikely that most of these symptoms will mean bowel cancer, but any change is worth investigating, even just for peace of mind. Speak to your GP and make sure they take you seriously. Too many people are sent away without a second thought because they are "too young." There is no such thing as too young, so please take notice of what your body is telling you. It really is worth it.

P.S. I have to give credit to Bowel Cancer UK and Beating Bowel Cancer - both have been fantastic in raising awareness as well as providing help, information and support for myself and Steve, along with many others I know who are facing this battle.

No comments: