Powered By Blogger

Thursday 28 May 2015

A little scare & an update

For a few weeks, Steve has been struggling to catch his breath. He's always had asthma and has been hospitalised with it before, so we put it down to the recent weather changes and crossed our fingers that it would improve.

Despite his use of inhalers, his breathing didn't seem to get any better.

Last night, he told me he'd called the hospital during the day and asked to be checked over because he was really struggling at work.

He went into hospital this morning on his way to work and was put on a nebuliser for 30 minutes. He was told that if he felt better after 30 minutes, he was free to leave. If not, they would send him for scans and Xrays because that would indicate that the cancer in his lungs was growing and spreading further,

Obviously, we both had an unsettled night due to worrying. Anybody who has been through, or knows somebody who has been through a cancer diagnosis will be aware of the "scanxiety" you feel when waiting for results. The thought that our world may be turned on its head yet again gave me that awful, familiar feeling in the pit of my stomach along with the hot, clammy feeling and heart-beating-out-of-my-chest sensation. Steve wasn't as worried as I was because he felt that

After 30 minutes on the nebuliser, Steve was calling me on his way to work from the hospital telling me he'd instantly felt better and therefore he, and the oncologist, were both confident that the weather was the cause for the troubles with his breathing and no further investigation was necessary.

We are so incredibly relieved.

I'm going to make sure he takes his preventative inhaler as well as the blue one he takes during an attack, as he tends to forget about that one. Hopefully that will help and we won't have another scare like that!

With regards to my mum, she has been released from the hospital and is now home after a very long 11 weeks. She's been quite emotional and although she's over the moon to be home, she's found it quire difficult to adjust and it's been overwhelming for her. Having suffered with mental illness for a very long time, she's found the diagnosis and the following weeks particularly hard to take.

She tells me she spends a lot of time sleeping and doesn't have much of an appetite most of the time. She was in tremendous pain but thankfully her doctors have finally managed to get that under control so she's feeling slightly better.

My brother, sister-in-law and nephew are now over from New Zealand and have been spending time with her, which I know has been lovely for them all (and I've loved having lots of cuddles with my little Kiwi!).

I'll update again soon :)

Thanks for reading.

Xx

No comments: